Businesses looking for a LastPass alternative should find a solution that is more than just a password manager. Keeper Security is the ideal password management solution for growing small and medium-sized businesses (SMB). We offer tools for password management, secrets management, remote connection and other security features to protect you and your team.
Fortunately, migrating over to Keeper has never been easier. Our team has created a straightforward guide to help teams make the jump over from LastPass to Keeper.
1. How to Export Passwords from LastPass
Before deleting your LastPass account, administrators need to export your information in the form of a CSV file. If you do not do this step, it may be more difficult to gain access to all of your accounts. Retrieving an export file makes the transition to the new password manager easier and it can give you peace of mind knowing that you have a copy of this info for your personal records.
This step must be completed prior to deleting your LastPass account. If you delete your LastPass account before retrieving this information, you run the risk of being locked out of all your online accounts. Once you delete your account, your password vault will be wiped and it will not be possible to regain access and export your data from LastPass.
Companies using a LastPass Teams or Business plan have the option to restrict employees from exporting their data. If your LastPass account is provided by your employer, speak to your team’s administrator to make sure you have permission to export your data.
Exporting Your Passwords Through the Browser Extension
- Click the LastPass extension icon to open the menu.
- Once there, select Account Options > Advanced > Export
- Finally, click LastPass CSV File.
The file will automatically download to your computer and can then be imported to your new user-friendly password manager. LastPass vault data files can also be downloaded through their website.
Exporting Your Passwords with the LastPass Web Vault
- Open the LastPass Web Vault in your browser.
- Log into your account by entering your master password.
- Once inside the vault, select Advanced Options and then Export.
Note: Keep in mind that exporting may not be an available option if you’re using a business account. If you need to export your data, speak to your team’s LastPass administrator.
2. How to Import Data into Keeper
After deleting your LastPass account, the next step is to transfer your data to your Keeper account. Importing data is essential because it allows you to regain access to all of your beloved online accounts. By importing the export file to Keeper, IT managers can share passwords with their teams, store confidential information in their digital vaults and manage user accounts through Keeper’s dashboard.
How to Import Data to Keeper Using Your LastPass Login
Use the step-by-step instructions below to learn how to import your vault data to Keeper using your LastPass credentials.
- Download the Keeper Desktop app available on the Keeper Download page.
- Log into your Keeper account by entering your master password and clicking on the following path: Settings > Import > LastPass.
- Enter your LastPass login credentials. If you have two-factor authentication enabled, you must also type in the code you receive through your authenticator app.
- Select Next.
- To complete, click Import.
Watch the video below for steps on how to import your LastPass vault via automated transfer.
How to Import Data to Keeper with Your LastPass CSV File
As an alternative method, you can import data to your Keeper password vault with your LastPass CSV file. All you need is your email address, master password and the export file.
- Visit the Keeper Download page and download the desktop app.
- Log into your account and follow the path: Settings > Import > LastPass.
- Instead of using the LastPass automated transfer option, click on Import CSV, located in the top right-hand corner.
- You can import your data file by dragging and dropping it into the section below.
- After dropping the CSV file, a new window will appear featuring all your imported information. Select Next > Import.
How to Import Data to Keeper with Keeper Commander
A third import method is through our CLI tool, Keeper Commander. With Keeper Commander, you can transfer, passwords, folders, templates and custom fields to Keeper records, record file attachments and more.
3. How to Delete Your LastPass Account
Once you have retrieved the export file, you can move forward with deleting your LastPass account. There are two methods to choose from. You can use the first method if you know your master password or the second method if you do not.
LastPass Deletion Process with a Master Password
- Visit the LastPass – Delete Your Account website.
- Locate the Delete Your Account section and select Delete.
- A window will pop up asking if you know your master password or not. Select Yes.
- A form will appear. Fill in your credentials and checkmark any boxes explaining why you are choosing to delete your account.
- Review the form to make sure everything is correct. Once everything is filled out, go ahead and click Delete.
That’s it! You will receive a confirmation email from LastPass and steps on how to uninstall the browser extension from your computer.
LastPass Deletion Process Without a Master Password
Follow the steps below if you do not know your master password.
- Visit LastPass – Delete Your Account and select Delete.
- A window will appear asking if you know your master password. Select No.
- A new window will appear, prompting you to type in the email address associated with your account.
4. At this point, LastPass will send you an email with a link to delete the account.
Click Permanently delete my LastPass account now in the email or copy.
5. A new page will appear. Select Delete, then select Yes to confirm.
4. Uninstalling LastPass Browser Extensions and Applications
We also encourage you to remove the browser extension to save space on your devices. Uninstalling the LastPass extension only requires a few simple steps.
|Browser or Application||Instructions|
|Firefox||Go to Firefox > Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > Remove.|
|Safari App Extension for Mac||
|Safari for Windows||
Former LastPass users looking for an alternative password manager should migrate to a safe and secure service, suitable for your team’s needs.
Keeper Security is a password manager that offers various packages for individuals, families, businesses and enterprises. Our password management tool offers premium plans that protect companies from data breaches with zero-trust and zero-knowledge security, ensuring that confidential data is safe and protected. Companies can opt into additional features for added layers of security.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Keeper available on mobile devices?
The Keeper® Mobile App is available on Apple and Android devices. You can download the application from Google Play and App Store. The Keeper® Desktop App can be used on Mac, Windows and Linux operating systems. Plus, KeeperFill® is our browser extension that is available for Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Edge, Opera and Brave.
Does Keeper offer a free version of its services?
If you are interested in using Keeper’s premium services you can take advantage of the 14-day free trial. If you decide to purchase Keeper Unlimited, the trial ends and you can continue using the premium service. If you decide not to purchase the premium service, the trial will end and you will be able to use Keeper’s free version.
To learn more, visit our page comparing the differences between Keeper’s unlimited free trial and free version.
What happens if I stop paying my subscription for LastPass premium?
The account will downgrade to the free version once your LastPass premium subscription has ended. The free version still provides you with access to your passwords and data within the vault. However, you will no longer be able to use premium features such as dark web monitoring, advanced multi-factor authentication options, personal customer support and more.