Happy SysAdmin Appreciation Day! This Friday, July 31, 2020, is the 21st annual System Administrator Appreciation Day, when organizations around the world demonstrate their appreciation to their hard-working SysAdmins.
What is a SysAdmin?
Systems administrators are the unsung heroes who toil behind the scenes to keep IT systems around the world running and secure. As technology has evolved and grown more complex, so has the systems administrator role. Today’s SysAdmins need a solid understanding of both hardware and software, and they wear many hats, especially in smaller organizations. A SysAdmin’s job responsibilities may include:
- Network administration, including maintaining system backups, security and patch management, user account management, e-mail systems, internet access, office systems, and applications support.
- Supporting servers, network components and desktop hardware, printers, software, and applications, including maintenance, patches and upgrades.
- Implementing and supporting their employer’s network and computing infrastructure plan.
- Regularly testing and monitoring backups for disaster recovery.
- Identifying technology areas that need improvement, upgrades, and patches, and suggesting and implementing solutions.
- Responding to help desk tickets and providing technical support for hardware and software issues.
- Creating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), work instruction documentation, and reference documentation.
- Contributing to and maintaining system standards.
- Ensuring the security of IT infrastructure through access controls, backups and firewalls, etc.
If that sounds like a lot of work, it’s because it is! System administrators work long hours and have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.
The Role of SysAdmins in Cybersecurity
SysAdmins manage user permissions for all applications and services throughout their organizations’ IT environments, assigning user roles and ensuring that all employees can securely access the applications and services they need to do their jobs. They’re also responsible for managing employee passwords and ensuring that employees are adhering to password security requirements, such as the use of strong, unique passwords and multi-factor authentication (2FA).
Since estimates are that 80% of successful data breaches are caused by weak or compromised passwords, this means that SysAdmins play a crucial role in defending their organizations against cybercrime.
How Keeper Simplifies Authentication for SysAdmins
SysAdmins have a lot to worry about. Keeper’s business password management solutions make their jobs easier by helping them prevent password-related data breaches and enforce compliance, with industry-leading features that include:
- Exclusive proprietary zero-knowledge security model
- Three-in-one solution for small businesses; SMBs can use Keeper for password management, Single Sign-on (SSO), and Privileged Access Management (PAM)
- Ease of use for both IT admins and end users; rapid deployment on all devices with no upfront equipment or installation costs
- Personalized onboarding and 24/7 support and training from a dedicated support specialist
- Support for role-based access control (RBAC), 2FA, auditing, event reporting, and multiple compliance standards, including HIPAA, DPA, FINRA, and GDPR
- Easy integration with SSO; no need for separate logins
- Secure storage for sensitive files, documents, photos, and videos on unlimited devices
- Private vaults for each employee, plus shared folders, subfolders, and passwords for teams
FREE Keeper Plus Bundle subscriptions for SysAdmins
In recognition of SysAdmin Appreciation Day, Keeper is giving away 1,000 free Keeper Plus Bundle subscriptions. Additionally, one lucky SysAdmin will also win a $500 Amazon gift card!* The Keeper Plus Bundle ($58.47 value) includes:
- BreachWatch Dark Web Monitoring
- Secure storage for an unlimited number of passwords
- Access from an unlimited number of devices
- Automatically generate strong, unique passwords, and autofill them on all websites and app
These free subscriptions will go fast, so don’t wait; claim yours by filling out this form!